What benefits can I expect within the first week of quitting smoking?

One of the main reasons it's so hard to quit smoking is because all the benefits of quitting and all the dangers of continuing seem very far away. Well, here's a timeline that shows how quickly the effects of smoking can be undone. If you quit smoking today, the following changes will happen during the first week:
  • After 20 minutes your blood pressure will return to normal.
  • After 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your bloodstream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.
  • Within 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body, and your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.
  • Within 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy level will increase.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

How can I quit smoking if I have friends who smoke?
Frank T. Leone, MDFrank T. Leone, MD
It does not have to be hard to quit smoking, even when other people around you are smoking. Believe ...
Is a co-payment required for outpatient smoking cessation counseling?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
A co-payment is no longer required for outpatient smoking cessation counseling for veterans under VA...
What should I do if I smoke when I'm trying to quit?
If you fall off the wagon and have a cigarette, it's not the end of the world. Don't use it as an ...
What should I expect during meals while trying to quit smoking?
Smoking affects your weight by decreasing your appetite through its stimulant effects and loweri...