What are prescription antismoking drugs?

Here is a list of often-prescribed antismoking prescription drugs:
  • Bupropion: Bupropion is a long standing prescription antidepressant that also reduces the urge to smoke.
  • Varenicline: Varenicline is a relatively new drug designed to take away the pleasurable sensation that nicotine releases in smokers. It may also reduce withdrawal symptoms.
  • Clonidine and nortriptyline: Clonodine (a high-blood-pressure drug) and nortriptyline (an antidepressant) are back-ups that help some smokers.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Should I stop smoking before I try to conceive?
Stop smoking as soon as you can, and definitely before you try and conceive. Your baby's genes are a...
How can a support group help me recover from nicotine addiction?
While you may feel powerless over the hold nicotine has on you, there are some things you can co...
What Are the Withdrawal Symptoms When Quitting Smoking?