What are nicotine replacement therapies?

Nicotine replacement therapies come as patches and inhalers. They supply your brain with some nicotine, so stopping smoking doesn't cause severe withdrawal symptoms.

Take the RealAge Test!

Remember, tobacco addiction is both mental and physical. For most people, the best way to quit will be some combination of medicine, a method to change personal habits, and emotional support.

As mentioned earlier, the nicotine in cigarettes leads to actual physical dependence. This can cause unpleasant symptoms when a person tries to quit. Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) gives you nicotine—in the form of gums, patches, sprays, inhalers, or lozenges—but not the other harmful chemicals in tobacco. It can help relieve some of the withdrawal symptoms so that you can focus on the psychological (emotional) aspects of quitting.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

can filters in cigarettes help me quit smoking ?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Filters that reduce tar and nicotine in cigarettes do not work. In fact, studies have shown that smo...
can herbs and supplements help me quit smoking cigarettes ?
There is little scientific evidence to support the use of homeopathic aids and herbal supplements as...
is it possible for people with mental illness to quit smoking ?
Like other smokers, smokers with mental illness are interested in quitting, are able to quit, and ha...
can a flavored toothpick really help me quit smoking ?
A flavored toothpick may help with the psychological aspect of needing something in your mouth. ...