I want to quit smoking, what kind of treatment and support exists?

Quitting smoking is probably the best thing we can do for our health and the health of those around us. Nearly three out of every four smokers want to quit, but it usually takes several attempts to be successful. Try not to get discouraged by temporary relapses. There are many different and effective ways for women to stop smoking.

You have the best chance to quit if you use a combination:

• Quitting on your own (cold turkey)
  • Using self-help materials available on the Internet
  • Attending classes or support groups
  • Calling quit lines
  • Receiving counseling from health care providers or other trained counselors
  • Taking medication, such as nicotine replacement (patch, gum, or lozenge, all available over-the-counter) or a prescription nasal inhaler or spray, or an antidepressant.

The most important thing to know about quitting smoking is that there is no right or wrong method, though using some form of assistance increases the chance of success. Women seem to do best with a combination of methods, including social support, counseling, and medication. These treatments are available through public programs; telephone quit lines, clinics, and hospitals and will double or triple the chances of quitting permanently. If you menstruate, it may be easier to quit during the first half of your menstrual cycle. You may also want to try quitting during a time when you are not feeling overly stressed.

There are many resources to help you stop smoking. Look for them at your workplace, your health care provider, community organizations such as the American Lung Association, and on the Internet.

A national program called Circle of Friends helps women quit smoking and empowers nonsmokers to support women who choose to quit.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What are nicotine replacement therapies?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Remember, tobacco addiction is both mental and physical. For most people, the best way to quit will ...
How can I quit smoking if I don’t really want to stop?
Frank T. Leone, MDFrank T. Leone, MD
Being reluctant to quit smoking, even though you would really like to, is basically the definition...
How Many Years Can I Add to My Life By Quitting Smoking?