What are the treatment options for nicotine addiction recovery?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you want to quit smoking, you have several options. Setting a quit date is very important, but deciding how to quit is important as well. You can quit immediately and experience the effects of withdrawal, or you can choose a variety of cessation techniques. Behavior modification, counseling, or nicotine replacement products like gum, a patch, or nasal sprays may help minimize withdrawal symptoms. Bupropion, an antidepressant, may be used to complement products designed to reduce nicotine slowly. Varenicline, which affects the brain-nicotine relationship and decreases both withdrawal symptoms and cravings, must be used alone.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

How do I rearrange my laundry room to avoid slip-ups when quitting smoking?
If you used to smoke in the laundry room, get rid of all triggers including ashtrays, lighters and m...
Is it ever too late to stop smoking?
Ajay K. Sahajpal, MDAjay K. Sahajpal, MD
To put it simply, no. Smoking cessation prior to elective surgery of any type, even days before, is...
Will quitting smoking reduce my risk for circulatory disorders?
Yes.  If you quit before age 35 and before you have smoked a pack a day for 20 years, that is what w...
Is it dangerous to smoke while using nicotine replacement therapy?
Don't mix smoking with NRT. If you have a relapse, don't stop using NRT. Make sure you use the full ...