What are the success rates for those attempting to quit smoking cigarettes?

Just one in 10 smokers successfully quits smoking, even though about eight in 10 smokers say they would like to kick the habit.

Still, around 2 million people stop smoking every year. Some go cold turkey, others use nicotine replacement therapy, while others use prescription medication or use hypnosis.
Before you start using nicotine replacement or sign up for a stop smoking class or program, you may wonder about its success rate. Success rates are hard to figure out for many reasons. First, not all programs define success in the same way. Does success mean that a person is not smoking at the end of the program? After 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? Does smoking fewer cigarettes (rather than stopping completely) count as success? If a program you're considering claims a certain success rate, ask for more details on how success is defined and what kind of follow-up is done to confirm the rate.
The truth is that quit smoking programs, like other programs that treat addictions, often have fairly low success rates. But that does not mean they are not worthwhile or that you should be discouraged. Your own success in quitting is what really counts, and that is under your control.
Only about 4% to 7% of people are able to quit smoking on any given attempt without medicines or other help.
Studies in medical journals have reported that between about 25% and 33% of smokers who use medicines can stay smoke-free for over 6 months. There is also early evidence that combining some medicines may work better than using them alone.
Behavioral and supportive therapies may increase success rates even further. Check the package insert of any product you are using to see if the manufacturer provides free telephone-based counseling.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How do I get my loved one to go to a smoking cessation support group?
Love alone is enough to persuade a loved one to go to a smoking cessation program. Let your love...
What is something I can do right away to help a loved one quit smoking?
Self checSelf chec
You can send a CaringCard at: http://selfchec.org/main/cardshopnew.php. It's a special kind of free ...
Can Social Media Help You Quit Smoking?
Can Social Media Help You Quit Smoking?