What are some tips to help me quit smoking?

The most important thing you can do is understand you can quit -- and that is the most important thing you can do for your and all the people around you's vigor, energy, and well being. Here are my five best tips:
  • Why do YOU want to? What is your greater PURPOSE behind quitting? Don’t just do it because you “should” or you doctor keeps on telling you or your spouse is nagging. Why do YOU want to do it?
  • Check out chapter 6 of YOU: Staying Young for the YOU Docs quit plan, then make an appointment to see your doc. See if your doc likes our treatment choice (walking 30 minutes a day, curbing your cravings with a specific bupropion (Welbutrin/Zyban) and patch regimen, lifting weights, and creating a support group) and ask for the necessary prescription.
  • Out of scent out of mind. Fabreeze and scrub the carcinogens, arsenic, rat poison, and other 4,000 chemicals out of your clothes and favorite smoking places. That smell will no longer be associated with you.
  • Create a support system. Let it be known that you broke up with your identity as a smoker, and would appreciate it if you were not reminded of it. Ask that one friend of yours that is always calling you out when you go back on a promise to help you stay committed.
  • Walk and lift. The most effective natural stress management technique. Exercise releases endorphins (make you happy and feel healthy… smoking will seem counterproductive), keeps boredom away (it’s always an option), will make your progress more noticeable (you’ll see improvement in your endurance), will curb and counter cravings (you’ll be less likely to gain weight!).
Think of the quit process like learning a new skill. It takes 10,000 hours to master a skill (that’s 3.5 years of practicing 8 hours a day). Practice the above mentioned tips rigorously every day to master the addiction. Going without a cigarette for 6 months is a great start. Now here’s the tough part -- don’t get discouraged when you slip up! Remember, learning is striving…failing… and tweaking or making small changes… then trying again. So what will you do differently next time you are faced with a similar situation? And finally, NEVER LOOK BACK. Nine out of ten smokers relapse after allowing themselves “just one cigarette”.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

How can I quit smoking if I have a mental illness?
Smoking and mental illness often coexist together. The tools used to quit smoking in a person with a...
Can cinnamon sticks realistically help me replace cigarettes?
Whether cinnamon sticks can help you replace cigarettes depends on how long and often you smoked, th...
When can I expect to feel the benefits of quitting smoking?
Although it often takes several weeks to feel better, the benefits of not smoking start almost i...
Your Quick Start Guide to Quitting Tobacco
Your Quick Start Guide to Quitting TobaccoYour Quick Start Guide to Quitting TobaccoYour Quick Start Guide to Quitting TobaccoYour Quick Start Guide to Quitting Tobacco
Want to kick the habit? Get straight facts, smart tips and a step-by-step plan. Welcome to the Tobacco Cessation Guide! Whether you're considering kic...