Should I stop smoking before I try to conceive?

Stop smoking as soon as you can, and definitely before you try and conceive. Your baby's genes are affected by what you do for up to 3 months before you get pregnant when it comes to smoking. The same for your partners. That is, the sperm are affected for 3 months as well. So, both you and your partner should be, smoke-free, including second-hand smoke-free, for as much time as possible, but hopefully at least 3 months before you try and conceive.

Absolutely. Smoking during pregnancy is not healthy for the baby and obviously not healthy for you. You can definitely affect fertility by continuing to smoke. Any blood vessels that have some vasoconstriction may affect fertility.

Mothers who smoke during pregnancy tend to deliver infants with low birth weights. In addition, according to the U.S. Surgeon General, smoking during pregnancy results in the death of 599 male and 408 female infants annually.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Studies have shown that smoking is linked to problems with fertility. Smoking can affect ovulation, the release of an egg that is ready to be fertilized, as well as the ability of the fertilized egg to implant correctly in the uterus. Smoking can also affect how well sperm swim, which impacts a man's ability to fertilize an egg. And of course, maternal smoking can lead to many problems for a developing baby.

So before trying for a baby, stub out the butt for good. It'll be good practice for facing all the challenges that having a kid presents. Believe me, by the time you're having your first all-out battle with your teen, you'll think nostalgically back to those easy, breezy days of nicotine withdrawal.

It is always advisable to stop smoking at any time. However, if you are trying to conceive, you should definitely stop smoking. Smoking disrupts the blood supply from mom to baby even in the earliest days and can lead to an unhealthy baby or miscarriage. You may be pregnant for several weeks before you know you are pregnant, so stopping once you know you are pregnant may be too late.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What should I do in the morning to avoid smoking while quitting?
Mornings can be your enemy when you decide to quit smoking. Many smokers have a cigarette the mo...
How do I rearrange my kitchen to avoid slip-ups when quitting smoking?
So you liked smoking in your kitchen. Maybe it broke up the monotony of cooking or doing dishes?...
Do You Treat Women Differently than You Treat Men in Cardiaology?