What are the side effects of nicotine replacement therapy?

Based on information from iGuard.org, a free medication monitoring service, 46% of patients experience side effects while taking Nicotine (Nicoderm, Nicorette, Nicotrol). Some of the side effects reported by iGuard members include: Nausea/Vomiting, Bloating/Gas, Insomnia, Fatigue, Dizziness, High Blood Pressure, and Bone/Joint Pain. Please follow up with your doctor or other healthcare provider if you are experiencing any symptoms that worsen or do not go away.

Most people tolerate nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) quite well. It's a far safer way of getting nicotine than smoking is. However, there are some side effects:

• Nicotine from the patch can irritate your skin. Every day, choose a new area between your neck and waist to apply your patch. Always remove the old patch.
  • Nicotine gum and lozenges may cause mouth soreness. Sprays and inhalers can irritate the nose and throat.
  • Depending on the form and the dose, you may experience insomnia, hiccups, heartburn, indigestion, and dry mouth.

Fortunately, few people have to stop NRT because of side effects.

Take the RealAge Test!

Nicotine-replacement medication is one tool—in conjunction with a larger smoking cessation plan—that may be able to help you quit smoking. All nicotine-replacement medications (NRM) provide nicotine to a smoker without using tobacco. This helps relieve nicotine withdrawal symptoms as the smoker stops the behavior of cigarette smoking.

Some possible side effects of all of the nicotine-replacement medications may include dizziness, perspiration, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, and abdominal pain. In addition to these, there are some side effects and other considerations specific to the type of NRM used. If you are interested in beginning nicotine replacement, discuss with your physician or another qualified medical professional which form of the medication may work best for you.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

Are there alternative therapies to help me quit smoking?
Nicotine addiction is very difficult to break, and most people need medical intervention of some typ...
How will I know when I'm ready to quit smoking?
You should be ready any time you care about yourself and care about your health, or if you love some...
What are the success rates for those attempting to quit smoking cigarettes?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Just one in 10 smokers successfully quits smoking, even though about eight in 10 smokers say they wo...
What is the first thing I should do if I want to quit smoking?
Find out the smoking cessation programs near you and talk to someone about them.  There are many pro...