Should I quit smoking?

Stop smoking! You know that you are harming yourself and those around you. The challenge comes down to will power. Remind yourself of all the negative effects of smoking. It stains the teeth, damages the enamel, irritates your gums, teeth, tongue, throat, and can worsen the complications of diabetes. It can decrease your sensitivity to smells and tastes. It dramatically increases your risk of periodontal disease up to 10 times than if you didn't smoke. Smoking causes lung disease, or COPD. Smoking causes oral and lung cancer. There are many positive benefits of quitting. You'll decrease your risk for developing diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, or cancer (including oral cancer). Your doctor and dentist can give you medications, advice, and encouragement. Ask for help. Quit now.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

How can taking an antidepressant to quit smoking affect my emotions?
Frank T. Leone, MDFrank T. Leone, MD
When used for smoking, these medications are not expected to change your emotions. While you are t...
How do I avoid a relapse after quitting smoking?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The following are tips for remaining tobacco-free: Track your journey. Nothing motivates like succ...
Are nicotine cravings during addiction recovery psychological or physical?
Nicotine cravings are a double-headed dragon. They are both physical and psychological. Smoking cess...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting. We all know smoking has countless negative effects on our health—from discolored teeth to heart...