How do I rearrange my patio to avoid slip-ups when quitting smoking?

First off, the patio should be a place you go to get fresh air, not stinky cigarette smoke filled air. If you do enjoy smoking on the patio, try a makeover to remove smoking triggers. Start by throwing out all the ashtrays, smoking pails or whatever you used to dispose of ashes and cigarette butts. Fill your smoking area with a new planter, sculpture, Zen water fountain or sand garden.

Continue with this project by moving patio furniture around. If you hovered under an umbrella during the rain, move it and keep it closed. Add a few new embellishments and adornments here and there so your patio seems like a new space. If all else fails, you may want to find some place other than your patio to spend time in the first few months after you quit smoking.
If you smoked on the patio, avoid it in the first few months after quitting smoking. If it's the summer and being out on the patio with friends and family can't be avoided, turn it into a nonsmoking place.

Start by getting rid of the smoky smell in furniture by replacing cushions in outdoor seating. Get rid of ashtrays, lighters and anything else used for smoking. Move the furniture around to create areas where people can converse or play games. Planting garden boxes and caring for the flowers will not only create a relaxing environment, but will give you a sense of accomplishment and keep you busy enough to take your mind off smoking.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What are smoking cessation aids?
There are many smoking cessation aids available. Here are the two most popular smoking cessation...
How safe is it to take more than one medication to help me quit smoking?
Frank T. Leone, MDFrank T. Leone, MD
Under a doctor’s direction, it is safe to use several medications in combination in order to quit ...
The Best Time to Quit Smoking
The Best Time to Quit Smoking