How do I rearrange my laundry room to avoid slip-ups when quitting smoking?

When you are getting ready to quit smoking, try to avoid, at least for now, the environment where you used to smoke. It's all part of the plan to get rid of any triggers. Triggers are the people, places and things that put you in the mood to smoke or that were part of your smoking ritual.

But if one of your triggers is your laundry room, obviously you can't avoid that. Instead, do a little laundry room makeover to remove the smoking triggers. Put a picture of your kids in the place where you stored your cigarettes. Move your shelving around and add a few embellishments and adornments here and there so it looks like a different room. Hopefully the urge to smoke won't register when you go in to wash a load.
If you used to smoke in the laundry room, get rid of all triggers including ashtrays, lighters and matches. Because smoke gets into carpeting and drapes and may cause a residual odor in a room, get rid of the smoky smell with a deodorizer. Limit your activities in that room to what it's meant for -- doing laundry.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How effective are stop-smoking programs?
Stop-smoking programs can be effective but the patient is two times more likely to quit with support...
What remedies are helpful for quitting smoking?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
There are multiple medications that can help you stop smoking.  The oldest, and most tested, are the...
How Many Years Can I Add to My Life By Quitting Smoking?