Should I use nicotine replacement therapy to quit smoking?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
If you feel that you cannot quit smoking “cold turkey” then nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) may be very helpful. A recent review of over 130 studies found that when any form of NRT was used the success of quitting smoking was 50-70%.

There are many options for nicotine replacement that include patches, gum, inhalers, nasal sprays, tablets and lozenges. There are very few complications from these treatments.  The patch can cause skin irritation and the gum and tablets may irritate the inside of the mouth. The key is to find the replacement method that you like the best and then quit smoking.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Can I quit smoking without taking drugs?
Quitting smoking can be an incredibly daunting challenge. The odds of success if you go at it alon...
Why are there so many treatments for people who want to stop smoking?
There are many ways to quit smoking, but no single way works for everyone. You need to keep trying u...
5 Steps to Quit Smoking
5 Steps to Quit Smoking