Should I use nicotine replacement therapy to quit smoking?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
If you feel that you cannot quit smoking “cold turkey” then nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) may be very helpful. A recent review of over 130 studies found that when any form of NRT was used the success of quitting smoking was 50-70%.

There are many options for nicotine replacement that include patches, gum, inhalers, nasal sprays, tablets and lozenges. There are very few complications from these treatments.  The patch can cause skin irritation and the gum and tablets may irritate the inside of the mouth. The key is to find the replacement method that you like the best and then quit smoking.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
When can I expect to feel the benefits of quitting smoking?
Although it often takes several weeks to feel better, the benefits of not smoking start almost i...
Can a doctor, dentist, or pharmacist help a person quit smoking?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Doctors, dentists, and pharmacists can be good sources of information about the health risks of smok...
How Can I Quit Smoking?
How Can I Quit Smoking?