How will I know when I'm ready to quit smoking?

Andrea S. Wolf, MD
Vascular Surgery

You will know when you are ready and will have a hard time quitting if you are not ready. Each person has his or her own reason for wanting to quit. Try to find yours and stick with it!

I'm sure you know the old Mark Twain quote: "It's easy to quit smoking. I've done it hundreds of times." Sounds to me like a man who was never truly ready to kick the habit. And if you're not ready to quit smoking, your own attempt to give up cigarettes may be doomed too.

Psychologists say there is a right way and a wrong way to quit an addictive behavior such as smoking. One key: You must be convinced that the benefits of quitting smoking outweigh the benefits you gain from lighting up. So do yourself a favor before trying to quit. Go to the American Cancer Society or American Lung Association websites. Read about the terrifying effects smoking has on your body. When you're done, you may know once and for all that you're ready to quit, for good.
The motivation to quit smoking varies among people. Sometimes it takes a diagnosis of a smoking-related illness. If you are at least thinking of quitting, then begin to look at the different strategies to quit, such as therapy, support groups, or nicotine replacement therapies.
Irwin Isaacs
When you feel as if the smoking is controlling your life, and you really want to be rid of it.
Robert S. Kaufmann, MD

You will know.  You will say "This is it" and you make up your mind and you do it.  I always feel that anybody can make up their mind and accomplish anything.  If you really want to quit smoking you will but you have to be ready.

You should be ready any time you care about yourself and care about your health, or if you love someone.  Anyone you love will see you have 8 to 12 years more of disability and of suffering if you keep smoking a pack a day, and you will depart from them 8 to 12 years earlier.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

Smoking Treatment

Smoking Treatment

If you have an addiction to smoking, it is best to recognize the problem and work on a plan to stop smoking for your overall health improvement. To quit smoking, you can create motivational tips for weaning yourself off cigarettes ...

by a certain date and replacing that habit with a healthier habit such as walking or chewing sugar-free gum. Learn more from our experts how to create a cessation plan.