What should I know about nicotine nasal spray before using it?

Nicotine nasal spray, and all forms of nicotine, may be harmful to a fetus. Nicotine is passed through breast milk to a nursing infant. Do not breast-feed if you are using this product. You cannot smoke while using this product. In order for nicotine nasal spray to be effective, you must be committed to quitting smoking. Taking part in a smoking cessation support group or counseling can help you quit. If you do not stop smoking after a month of using the spray, you should stop the treatment. Because nicotine is addictive, you can become dependent on the nicotine nasal spray. This product is not as addictive as cigarettes. You should start with one spray in each nostril, using one or two doses per hour. You should use at least eight doses a day but not more than 40 doses per day, if you were a heavy smoker. This product can cause nasal irritation. People with heart conditions and other pre-existing conditions may not be able to use this medication. If you spill nicotine nasal spray on your skin, or in your eyes or mouth, rinse well several times with water. Nicotine can be fatal to children if ingested orally or inhaled.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

I want to quit smoking, what kind of treatment and support exists?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Quitting smoking is probably the best thing we can do for our health and the health of those around ...
What does the VA Medical Center offer for cigarette substance abuse?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
The VA offers counseling to help you quit, prescriptions for nicotine gum or patch and other medicat...
How do I get my loved one to go to a smoking cessation support group?
Entice them with sex or something else, or just tell them you love them and you are asking them to g...
Does it help to quit smoking with others?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A study published recently revealed that if you quit smoking with someone else, you have a better ch...