What should I know about nicotine replacement therapy?

You should not smoke while pursuing nicotine replacement therapy. Doing so can cause toxic levels of nicotine to accumulate in the body. Nicotine replacement therapy causes elevated heart rates in a developing fetus when used by pregnant women. Nicotine replacement therapy products should be kept out of reach of children. The dosage needed will depend on how many cigarettes a person smokes per day. When using nicotine replacement therapy products, the dosage should be reduced gradually.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Where can I get help to quit smoking?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Explore options that are funded by the state. For example, as a result of a tobacco settlement, the ...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting.
Treating Depression May Help Smokers Kick the Habit