Is it dangerous to smoke while using nicotine replacement therapy?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Don't mix smoking with NRT. If you have a relapse, don't stop using NRT. Make sure you use the full dose, and don't skip doses. Keep some on hand after you quit, in case of a relapse. If you use the gum, lozenge, or inhaler, wait at least half an hour before eating anything acidic, like tomatoes, citrus fruits, coffee, or soda. They can interfere with NRT. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Are there support groups for nicotine addiction recovery?
Nicotine addiction is one of the most common of all addictions, so there are many support groups...
How do medications that help me quit smoking work?
You became addicted to smoking because nicotine in tobacco acts on the brain in a way that makes l...
How Many Years Can I Add to My Life By Quitting Smoking?