Is it dangerous to smoke while using nicotine replacement therapy?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Don't mix smoking with NRT. If you have a relapse, don't stop using NRT. Make sure you use the full dose, and don't skip doses. Keep some on hand after you quit, in case of a relapse. If you use the gum, lozenge, or inhaler, wait at least half an hour before eating anything acidic, like tomatoes, citrus fruits, coffee, or soda. They can interfere with NRT. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

Can I reduce the effects of nicotine withdrawal when quitting smoking?
Dr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhDDr. Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
The following are ways to manage nicotine withdrawal symptoms when quitting smoking:Craving for ...
Why should I change my daily routine if I want to quit smoking?
So much of what keeps people smoking is addiction, but part of it is habit, too. So while you're...
The Best Time to Quit Smoking
The Best Time to Quit Smoking
What Are the Withdrawal Symptoms When Quitting Smoking?