How should I pick a quit date to stop smoking cigarettes?

Once you've decided to quit, you're ready to pick a quit date. This is a very important step. Pick a specific day within the next month as your Quit Day. Picking a date too far away can allow you time to rationalize and change your mind. But do give yourself enough time to prepare and come up with a plan. You might choose a date with a special meaning like a birthday or anniversary, or the date of the Great American Smokeout (the third Thursday in November each year). Or you may want to just pick a random date. Circle the date on your calendar. Make a strong, personal commitment to quit on that day.
Plan for your prescriptions: Remember that if you are planning to use a prescription drug, you will need to talk with your doctor about getting it in time for your Quit Day. If you plan to use bupropion (Zyban) or varenicline (Chantix), you must start taking the drug a full week before your Quit Day. If you are using one of these medicines, add a note on your calendar for the week before your Quit Day to remind you to start taking the drug.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

Why should I quit smoking?
You should quit smoking to improve your health. Tobacco use kills more than 440,000 Americans each ...
Is it ever too late to stop smoking?
Ajay K. Sahajpal, MDAjay K. Sahajpal, MD
To put it simply, no. Smoking cessation prior to elective surgery of any type, even days before, is...
How do I rearrange my laundry room to avoid slip-ups when quitting smoking?
If you used to smoke in the laundry room, get rid of all triggers including ashtrays, lighters and m...
How can I get support from others when I quit smoking?
You can get support from others when you quit smoking by telling your family, friends and coworkers ...