How can a support group help me recover from nicotine addiction?

While you may feel powerless over the hold nicotine has on you, there are some things you can control. Research shows a strong link between support groups and recovery from nicotine addiction. Feeling connected with others who are in the same boat as you can help you let go of fears, anxiety and insecurity, and allow you to receive comfort and support from people who accept you just as you are. Support groups can give you strength when you backslide and sneak just one more puff. Also, support groups provide a safe haven for you to vent when you're cigarette cravings are strong and your willpower is low.
Support groups and the help they provide are variable; much depends on the members who comprise the groups. They are usually helpful for people who feel comfortable in a group setting. By sharing experiences, helpful advice, and resources and expressing emotions in a supportive environment, members help the group and themselves.  
One of the best self-help steps you can take when you quit using tobacco is to sign up for a support group. The members of the group know what you're going through and they're there to help you get past it. Today every state offers telephone-based counseling for people who want to quit. You can also find free or low-cost stop smoking programs near you through your local hospital or through the American Cancer Society.
Irwin Isaacs
A support group can help you feel empowered by being part of a community with similar challenges.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How can I find help with my mental addiction to smoking?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
There are a wide range of counseling services, self-help materials, and medicines available today, s...
What should I do on the day I quit smoking cigarettes?
Today's the day you've been working and walking toward. So come on, make it happen. Do the follo...
A Smart Combo to Quit Smoking
A Smart Combo to Quit Smoking