How can I get support from others when I quit smoking?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

You can get support from others when you quit smoking by telling your family, friends and coworkers about your decision to quit and asking for their support and encouragement. Discuss your triggers -- the things that make you reach for a cigarette -- and ask them to help you avoid them.

Ask them not to smoke around you or place ashtrays or lighters near you. Also, consider joining a formal support group such as Nicotine Anonymous so you can meet other smokers who have quit.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Simple. Just ask for it. After all, more than 38 million Americans have quit smoking, and they all want you to do the same.

Within your own circle of friends, family and coworkers are people willing to support and encourage you. Let them know that you've quit, and ask for their support in helping you avoid the triggers that cause you to smoke. If any of them smoke, they probably want to quit, too. Your decision might inspire them to do so.

You can also join a formal support group such as Nicotine Anonymous, where you can meet other smokers who have kicked the habit.

By having a plan to quit smoking, you are in the best position to determine what support works for you, whether it’s a local support group that meets in person or one that is Internet based. You can also seek support from friends or family. Your healthcare provider can supply you with encouragement, referrals to resources, and motivational techniques. 
Irwin Isaacs
Psychology Specialist

The best way to get support from others is to simply ask for them to help.

Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Cardiothoracic Surgeon

By joining a support group, talking with friends or family members.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How can a smoking cessation team help me quit smoking?
SCAISCAI
If you smoke and want help quitting, your healthcare provider may refer you to a smoking cessation t...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting.
Are E-Cigarettes a Smart Alternative to Cigarettes? Maybe Not