How do support groups help me quit smoking?

Quitting smoking is not easy, so you may need a team of people to help you. Think of a support group as military troops helping you carry out your mission. On days you have strong nicotine cravings, a member of your support group can encourage you with a phone call, email or visit. Support group members also share "war stories" of how they quit that can keep you going. Quitting smoking is hard, but you don't have to fight the battle alone.
Irwin Isaacs
Being part of a group in which others are dealing with the same challenge helps you to stay on your path toward your goal.
Support groups help you quit smoking by helping you overcome the cravings that will inevitably come.  You will have cravings, especially on days 3 to 5 of quitting, that will get less the longer you stay away from cigarettes.  In fact, the cravings, we are told, go away almost entirely by 6 months.  That is, you do not have any cravings at any time.  Key is to use your support group anytime you feel like you have got a craving.  Call them up and talk through it.
Joseph I. Miller Jr., MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Support groups allow for individuals trying to quit to come together and discuss the urges and triggers which trigger the smoking.  People can then discuss ways which have worked for them to avoid the triggers or alternative ways to stop the urge. Support groups have been shown to help stop smoking.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What does the VA Medical Center offer for cigarette substance abuse?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
The VA offers counseling to help you quit, prescriptions for nicotine gum or patch and other medicat...
How can I quit smoking before or during pregnancy?
Ideally, you should stop smoking before you conceive. The fact is, you may not know you're pregn...
What Are the Withdrawal Symptoms When Quitting Smoking?