How much does quitting smoking reduce my risk of heart disease and cancer?

Smokers who quit have immediate health benefits:

• Risk for a heart attack drops sharply just one year after quitting.
  • After two to five years, the chance of stroke can fall to about the same as a nonsmoker's.
  • Within five years of quitting, the chance of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus and bladder is cut in half.
  • Ten years after quitting smoking, the risk for dying from lung cancer drops by half.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How can I deal with things that trigger my smoking?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
You probably can’t avoid your triggers entirely. But you can take control of them before they take c...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting.
Do You Treat Women Differently than You Treat Men in Cardiaology?