How will quitting smoking improve my health?

Quitting tobacco is important for your health. For example, the tobacco in cigarettes contains over 4,000 chemicals, more than 100 of which are known toxins (poisons). But it’s never too late to stop the damage tobacco does to your body. For example, look what happens when you put out your last cigarette:

• within minutes, your blood pressure and heart rate return to normal

• within hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood will go down -- and the oxygen level will go up

• within days, your ability to smell and taste will improve, and the yellow stains on your hands and teeth will fade

• within several weeks to months, you’ll start to breathe easier - your smoker’s cough will disappear, and you’ll find that you’re more clear-headed and energetic

• within a year or two, your risk for heart disease, stroke, emphysema, and lung cancer will drop by up to 50% -- eventually, your risk for these diseases will be the same as if you had never smoked
Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine
According to the American Heart Association, if you quit smoking for about 10 years, your risk of stroke will be similar to a non-smoker. If you quit for over a year, your risk of heart attack is reduced by 50%. If you quit smoking for just 20 minutes, your blood pressure and heart rate will recover from the spike they got with the nicotine.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What should I do during the first month after I quit smoking?
In the first month after quitting smoking, use the following strategies to increase your chances of ...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting.
A Smart Combo to Quit Smoking
A Smart Combo to Quit Smoking