How can I quit smoking if I have a mental illness?

Smoking and mental illness often coexist together. The tools used to quit smoking in a person with a history of mental illness are no different than those used in those without this history; however, in some cases those tools may need to be used in different ways.

Generally, exercise, counseling and appropriate use of nicotine supplementation such as the nicotine patch are safe for most people with mental illness. Certain medications may also be used to help in quitting smoking and some of these medications are also helpful in certain mental illnesses. Before you begin a program to quit smoking, consult your doctor. You can also call 1-800-QUIT-NOW for free help quitting, and go to www.smokefree.gov for a step-by-step quit guide.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

How do I rearrange my patio to avoid slip-ups when quitting smoking?
First off, the patio should be a place you go to get fresh air, not stinky cigarette smoke filled ai...
Does it help to quit smoking with others?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A study published recently revealed that if you quit smoking with someone else, you have a better ch...
Can I quit smoking without taking drugs?
Yes, but it is difficult because the cravings get you initially and then the psychological problems ...
What Are the Withdrawal Symptoms When Quitting Smoking?