How can I quit smoking if I have a mental illness?

Smoking and mental illness often coexist together. The tools used to quit smoking in a person with a history of mental illness are no different than those used in those without this history; however, in some cases those tools may need to be used in different ways.

Generally, exercise, counseling and appropriate use of nicotine supplementation such as the nicotine patch are safe for most people with mental illness. Certain medications may also be used to help in quitting smoking and some of these medications are also helpful in certain mental illnesses. Before you begin a program to quit smoking, consult your doctor. You can also call 1-800-QUIT-NOW for free help quitting, and go to www.smokefree.gov for a step-by-step quit guide.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Besides my doctor, who can help me quit smoking?
SCAISCAI
If you would like to quit smoking, start by asking your doctor for smoking cessation information. Yo...
Does nicotine replacement therapy help people stop smoking?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) and other medicines have been proven to double a person's chances...
Exercise Helps You Quit Smoking Faster
Exercise Helps You Quit Smoking Faster