How can I quit smoking if I have friends who smoke?

Frank T. Leone, MD
Pulmonary Disease
It does not have to be hard to quit smoking, even when other people around you are smoking. Believe it or not, you can go to social events without smoking, but it will be tough at first. You need to give yourself time to prepare for how you are going to handle the situation. You don’t have to lose your friends. Let everyone know that you are quitting and that you will need their help to succeed. Work with them to find a place where they can smoke without making it hard on you. Working together with family, friends and coworkers can help you quit.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Do I have to throw away all my cigarettes if I'm going to quit smoking?
Quitting smoking involves getting rid of the temptation to light up. Throwing away all of your c...
What remedies are helpful for quitting smoking?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
There are multiple medications that can help you stop smoking.  The oldest, and most tested, are the...
Do You Treat Women Differently than You Treat Men in Cardiaology?