How should I use nicotine gum or lozenges to quit smoking?

Nicotine gum (also available in lozenge form) helps treat sudden onset of cravings. It is available in 2 mg and 4 mg doses and can be used in combination with the patch. It can be used regularly in response to cravings. The dose is flexible and is dependent on your cravings. It helps control weight gain. It has very few side effects (if used correctly). However, some patients may experience mouth soreness, hiccups and heartburn. If using gum, you should chew it until soft and park it between the cheek and the gums. If using a lozenge, you should park it under the tongue.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How can I quit smoking if everyone at home smokes?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Quitting smoking, even when other people around you are smoking, does not have to be hard. Believe i...
What are the treatment options for nicotine addiction recovery?
Once a patient is truly ready to quit, an action plan should be devised. The first step in this ...
A Smart Combo to Quit Smoking
A Smart Combo to Quit Smoking