How should I use nicotine gum or lozenges to quit smoking?

Nicotine gum (also available in lozenge form) helps treat sudden onset of cravings. It is available in 2 mg and 4 mg doses and can be used in combination with the patch. It can be used regularly in response to cravings. The dose is flexible and is dependent on your cravings. It helps control weight gain. It has very few side effects (if used correctly). However, some patients may experience mouth soreness, hiccups and heartburn. If using gum, you should chew it until soft and park it between the cheek and the gums. If using a lozenge, you should park it under the tongue.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

How often do people try to quit smoking?
Approximately 50% of smokers try and quit each year.  It is much easier to quit when you get help wi...
Does it help to quit smoking with others?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A study published recently revealed that if you quit smoking with someone else, you have a better ch...
How effective are stop-smoking programs?
Stop-smoking programs can be effective but the patient is two times more likely to quit with support...
Will quitting smoking reduce my risk for cancer?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Quitting smoking substantially reduces the risk of developing and dying from cancer, and this benefi...