How can my menstrual cycle affect my ability to quit smoking?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
For women, timing a smoking quit date to their period can help them succeed. Studies find that kicking the smoking habit is especially tough for women during the menstrual cycle's luteal phase, which begins midcycle, just after ovulation. There's some evidence that women who time their quit date to occur during the follicular phase, which begins after menstruation and ends at ovulation, are more likely to abstain from cigarettes for a longer period than women who quit during the luteal phase.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What happens on days 30-45 of a "Kick the Habit" quit smoking plan?
Here's what happens on day 30 of my "Kick the Habit" plan:This is your quit date, the first day of y...
What's the hardest part of quitting smoking?
The hardest part of quitting smoking is probably dealing with the nicotine withdrawal. Nicotine is h...
Do I need to quit smoking before heart surgery?