How can my healthcare providers help me quit smoking?

If you smoke, talk to your healthcare providers. They can help you plan a way to quit smoking and can suggest programs and methods to help you cope with the stress of quitting. They may also advise medications to help reduce your craving for cigarettes and ease your withdrawal symptoms.
Healthcare providers can help you quit smoking in more than one way. Of course there are different medication options that a healthcare provider can offer based on your personal situation, but there are other ways he or she can help as well. Even if you do not plan to use medical management to quit you should notify your primary medical provider. He or she can assist with counseling, sharing strategies that have been successful with other patients and get you established with community resources. Sometimes, just having someone else involved in your plan to quit can make the difference between success and relapse.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Can I quit smoking without using a support group?
Yes.  Many people do.  Many people quit cold turkey.  Very tough to do though.  A 2% to 3% success r...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting.
What Are the Withdrawal Symptoms When Quitting Smoking?