How can nicotine nasal spray help me quit smoking?

The nasal spray delivers nicotine to the bloodstream as it is quickly absorbed through the nose. It is available only by prescription.

The nasal spray relieves withdrawal symptoms very quickly and lets you control your nicotine cravings. Smokers usually like the nasal spray because it is easy to use. But the FDA warns users that since this product contains nicotine, it can allow the addiction to continue. The FDA recommends that the spray be prescribed for 3-month periods and that it not be used for longer than 6 months.

The most common side effects last about 1 to 2 weeks and can include the following:
  • Nasal irritation
  • Runny nose
  • Watery eyes
  • Sneezing
  • Throat irritation
  • Coughing
There is also the danger of using more than is needed. If you have asthma, allergies, nasal polyps, or sinus problems, your doctor may suggest another form of NRT.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Why should I change my daily routine if I want to quit smoking?
So much of what keeps people smoking is addiction, but part of it is habit, too. So while you're...
How can I quit smoking if I have a mental illness?
Smoking and mental illness often coexist together. The tools used to quit smoking in a person with a...
5 Steps to Quit Smoking
5 Steps to Quit Smoking