How can nicotine nasal spray help me quit smoking?

The nasal spray delivers nicotine to the bloodstream as it is quickly absorbed through the nose. It is available only by prescription.

The nasal spray relieves withdrawal symptoms very quickly and lets you control your nicotine cravings. Smokers usually like the nasal spray because it is easy to use. But the FDA warns users that since this product contains nicotine, it can allow the addiction to continue. The FDA recommends that the spray be prescribed for 3-month periods and that it not be used for longer than 6 months.

The most common side effects last about 1 to 2 weeks and can include the following:
  • Nasal irritation
  • Runny nose
  • Watery eyes
  • Sneezing
  • Throat irritation
  • Coughing
There is also the danger of using more than is needed. If you have asthma, allergies, nasal polyps, or sinus problems, your doctor may suggest another form of NRT.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

Do I need to quit smoking before heart surgery?
Do You Treat Women Differently than You Treat Men in Cardiaology?
Is Smoking a Hookah Pipe Safe?
Is Smoking a Hookah Pipe Safe?
How Can I Quit Smoking Today?
How Can I Quit Smoking Today?