How can nicotine inhalers help me quit smoking?

Inhalers are available only by prescription. The nicotine inhaler is a thin plastic tube with a nicotine cartridge inside. When you take a puff from the inhaler, the cartridge puts out a nicotine vapor. Unlike other inhalers, which deliver most of the medicine to the lungs, the nicotine inhaler delivers most of the nicotine vapor to the mouth. Nicotine inhalers are the FDA-approved nicotine replacement method that is most like smoking a cigarette, which some smokers find helpful. The recommended dose is between 6 and 16 cartridges a day, for up to 6 months.
The most common side effects, especially when first using the inhaler, include:
  • Coughing
  • Throat irritation
  • Upset stomach
At this time, inhalers are the most expensive forms of NRT available. They are not the same as electronic cigarettes, which have not been proven in clinical trials to help with quitting and are not approved by the FDA.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

Do You Treat Women Differently than You Treat Men in Cardiaology?
Do I need to quit smoking before heart surgery?
What Are the Withdrawal Symptoms When Quitting Smoking?
The Best Time to Quit Smoking
The Best Time to Quit Smoking