How can I manage the side effects from nicotine patches?

When experiencing side effects from the nicotine patch, there are some basic ways to relieve them:
  • Do not smoke while you are using a patch.
  • Try a different brand of patch if your skin becomes irritated.
  • Reduce the amount of nicotine by using a lower-dose patch.
  • Sleep problems may be short-term and go away in 3 or 4 days. If not, and you're using a 24-hour patch, try switching to a 16-hour patch.
  • Stop using the patch and try a different form of NRT.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What is the best way to quit using nicotine?
There are several options available to people who want to quit using nicotine, including nicotin...
How do I fight withdrawal from cigarette substance abuse?
As you kick the smoking habit, you may experience feelings of withdrawal such as crankiness, depress...
How Smoking and Blood Pressure Affect Your Heart’s Age