Is it too late to get my elderly parents to quit smoking?

Well, it's never too late to try! The real question may be: do your parents want to quit smoking? Many of us in healthcare recommend smoking cessation, or at least cutting back, at virtually every patient encounter. "It hasn't killed me yet!" is not an uncommon reply. (Frankly, sometimes it's hard to argue with success). Aside from the well known cancer and heart disease risks of smoking; an elder who is losing function (say of fine motor control of the hands) and/or memory (perhaps leaving lit smoking materials in unsafe locations in the home) the risk of fire is not insignificant.

All of these concerns can be expressed, calmly and lovingly, by family. Repeat periodically, without nagging. Offer support and encouragement. Family members, who are also smokers, might offer to quit at the same time. Sometimes these things sound like a better idea - given some time.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How effective is it to quit smoking cold turkey?
It is very difficult to determine the success rate of quitting smoking cold turkey (or with any othe...
How can I avoid smoking while drinking coffee if I'm trying to quit?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Do the following to avoid smoking while drinking coffee if you are trying to quit. If you used to s...
How Have We Done in Combatting Smoking?
How Have We Done in Combatting Smoking?