Is it too late to get my elderly parents to quit smoking?

Well, it's never too late to try! The real question may be: do your parents want to quit smoking? Many of us in healthcare recommend smoking cessation, or at least cutting back, at virtually every patient encounter. "It hasn't killed me yet!" is not an uncommon reply. (Frankly, sometimes it's hard to argue with success). Aside from the well known cancer and heart disease risks of smoking; an elder who is losing function (say of fine motor control of the hands) and/or memory (perhaps leaving lit smoking materials in unsafe locations in the home) the risk of fire is not insignificant.

All of these concerns can be expressed, calmly and lovingly, by family. Repeat periodically, without nagging. Offer support and encouragement. Family members, who are also smokers, might offer to quit at the same time. Sometimes these things sound like a better idea - given some time.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How do I fight withdrawal from cigarette substance abuse?
As you kick the smoking habit, you may experience feelings of withdrawal such as crankiness, depress...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting.
Exercise Helps You Quit Smoking Faster
Exercise Helps You Quit Smoking Faster