How effective are nicotine lozenges in treating addiction?

Gary Wenk
According to the results of a study paid for by the manufacturer of a nicotine lozenge, chronic, long term smokers were three times more likely to stop smoking than those smokers who were given placebo lozenges. That sounds impressive until you learn that the effectiveness of a placebo in most studies is about two percent. Thus, nicotine lozenges are about as effective as nicotine chewing gum, i.e. about six percent of smokers will stop smoking ultimately after using them. Therefore, if everything else has failed, nicotine lozenges certainly worth a try. 

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What do I do to avoid smoking after meals if I'm trying to quit?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Here are some tips to avoid smoking after meals if you are trying to quit: Know what kinds of foods...
How can I quit smoking if I have a mental illness?
Smoking and mental illness often coexist together. The tools used to quit smoking in a person with a...
Do You Treat Women Differently than You Treat Men in Cardiaology?