How do I rearrange my kitchen to avoid slip-ups when quitting smoking?

So you liked smoking in your kitchen. Maybe it broke up the monotony of cooking or doing dishes? Going forward, you're going to have to move away from that ritual. A ritual is a situation that you equate with smoking.

I suggest starting a new ritual. Instead of smoking while loading the dishwasher, turn on the radio and sing along to your favorite songs. Snack on some carrots and celery sticks while doing this task. You also may want to do a little kitchen makeover to remove smoking triggers. Start by throwing out all the ashtrays. Don't reassign them to be knick-knack holders. Get rid of them. Try a small redecorating project by moving things on the counter around. Put pictures of loved ones on the shelves where you stored your pack of cigarettes. If the kitchen starts to look like a different room, hopefully the urge to smoke won't register when you walk in to cook dinner.
So the kitchen is where you smoked, while cooking or packing the kids' lunches? Not anymore. If you would take a break from cooking or washing dishes by sitting at the table or standing at the counter to have a smoke, remove ashtrays and lighters so you won't be able to smoke in there.

Try chewing gum or chewing on a cinnamon stick while you're in the kitchen to keep your mouth busy. Organizing your pantry, cabinets and drawers will give you a sense of accomplishment and keep you busy enough to take your mind off smoking. Going forward, think of the kitchen as primarily the room where you eat.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What should I do if I smoke when I'm trying to quit?
If you fall off the wagon and have a cigarette, it's not the end of the world. Don't use it as an ...
What can I do to quit smoking if I have emphysema?
Smoking is addictive and that can make it incredibly hard to quit, but if you have emphysema, it mig...
How Smoking and Blood Pressure Affect Your Heart’s Age