How do I rearrange my garage to avoid slip-ups when quitting smoking?

If you are like many people, you may have retreated to the garage where you squirreled away a pack of cigarettes. Maybe this served as a chance for you to get a little privacy in a house full of other people. Maybe it's the place where you come to pursue your passion -- fixing up old cars.

You can still do what love and get that privacy. But you need to do it without smoking. So you may want to do a little garage makeover to remove any triggers. It goes without saying that ashtrays and cigarette lighters are a no-no. But you can also try moving the shelving, draping a curtain over the smoking area, and adding a few new items (new tools, maybe?) here and there so it becomes a different place. May I suggest using the garage primarily as a place to park your car, at least for now. Once you get a handle on your cravings, you can go back to tinkering around with your car, as well.
If the garage was where you went to light up, try to avoid going in there during the first few months of trying to quit smoking. Only go in there to park the car. If the garage is that special place for you at home, where you can do activities you enjoy, like fixing and building things while getting some privacy, you're going to have to resist the urge to smoke while in there.

Start by cleaning up and getting organized. Sweep the dust and cigarette ashes away. Use a deodorizer to freshen the air. Get rid of lighters, ashtrays and the old boxes you'd sit on to have a smoke. Consider adding shelves or purchasing storage containers to create more space. Throw away tools, yard supplies and other junk that takes up too much space. Organize tools, sports equipment, holiday decorations and other items. How does this help you avoid smoking? If you keep yourself busy, you won't have time to think about smoking. Try chewing gum or whistling while you work to keep your mouth busy.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Can smoking deterrents help me quit cigarettes?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Other methods have been used to help stop smoking, such as over-the-counter products that change the...
Is it better to quit smoking gradually or cold turkey?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Quitting smoking cold turkey has been proven more effective than quitting gradually.
5 Steps to Quit Smoking
5 Steps to Quit Smoking