How do I rearrange my bedroom to avoid slip-ups when quitting smoking?

If you were someone who smoked in the bedroom, you can't spend the rest of your life sleeping on the couch for fear of slipping up. Instead, do a little bedroom makeover to remove smoking triggers. Start by throwing out all the ashtrays.

Then try a small redecorating project by moving things around. If you kept a pack of cigarettes on your bedside table, put something new in its place, like a picture of your kids or someone you admire. Maybe treat yourself to a new radio that plays soft, soothing music.

Here's something else to keep in mind. Smoking in bed is dangerous, and I'm not talking only about the toll it takes on your body. Many house fires have occurred after someone fell asleep with a cigarette burning. A fire puts not only your life at risk, but also the lives of others who live in your home and the lives of the firefighters who must respond to put out the blaze.
If you used to smoke in your bedroom, you can avoid slips ups when quitting smoking by rearranging the room. Start by getting rid of the smoky smell with a deodorizer, and toss the ashtrays and lighters. Also dry clean or replace curtains and your comforter or bedspread, and spruce up the room with new accent pillows. Scented candles and soft lighting can also turn your bedroom into a relaxing environment you can de-stress in instead of reaching for a cigarette.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Can a doctor, dentist, or pharmacist help a person quit smoking?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Doctors, dentists, and pharmacists can be good sources of information about the health risks of smok...
How do I fight withdrawal from cigarette substance abuse?
As you kick the smoking habit, you may experience feelings of withdrawal such as crankiness, depress...
5 Steps to Quit Smoking
5 Steps to Quit Smoking