Do most smokers succeed in their attempts to quit smoking?

Most smokers try to quit several times before succeeding. But many, many people succeed. In fact, the number of former U.S. smokers has exceeded the number of current smokers since 2002. Smokers can learn from previous quit attempts and be better prepared to overcome the specific challenges (sometimes called triggers) that cause them to start smoking again. With continued encouragement and support, many people keep trying until they succeed in stopping smoking for good.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What are the possible benefits of quitting smoking?
The majority of smokers say they want to quit smoking, but it's a lot easier said than done. But it'...
What is an effective plan to quit smoking?
An effective plan to quit smoking starts with the decision to quit. Set a date for when you are goin...
Do I need to quit smoking before heart surgery?