Is counseling necessary to help me quit smoking?

You don't need counseling to quit, but it will increase your chances of success. Counseling can encompass a lot of things. Your first taste of counseling probably came when you sat down in front of your doctor -- that is, if you actually admitted you were a smoker. Counseling can be one-on-one or part of a group program. Programs can be tailored specifically for you, or they can be universal step-by-step programs. You can find them at hospitals, clinics and community centers.

Sometimes, these groups are conducted by healthcare professionals, and sometimes they're run by former smokers just like you. There are telephone quit lines, Web-based programs and mobile applications too. All of these can offer support, motivation, practical ways to get through the cravings, and other constructive advice as you begin your life as a former smoker.
Counseling may not be necessary to help you quit smoking, but many smokers find that counseling can boost their chances of success. Studies show that a combination of counseling and medication is more effective than either medication or counseling alone. Whether you choose individual, group, online or phone counseling, a trained professional will guide you through products and programs that can help you quit.

Counseling also teaches you how to identify and avoid triggers that caused you to smoke and may increase your odds of relapsing after you quit. A counselor can also help you build a support group of family, friends or ex-smokers that can encourage you and cheer you on.
Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Some people can be successful quitting smoking on their own.  However, individual or group counseling can increase your chance of success.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
I want to quit smoking, what kind of treatment and support exists?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Quitting smoking is probably the best thing we can do for our health and the health of those around ...
Can counseling help me quit smoking?
Counseling is one of the many treatment options that can help you quit smoking. Cigarette smokin...
Treating Depression May Help Smokers Kick the Habit