How do I choose a stop-smoking treatment?

Your doctor can help you choose a stop-smoking treatment that’s right for you depending on the length of time you have been a smoker, the types of cigarettes you smoked and how much you smoked. To increase your chances of success, a treatment program has to deal with both the physical and psychological symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. Nicotine replacement products such as gums, patches, lozenges and nasal sprays can help deal with nicotine withdrawal. Counseling and support groups can help you identify triggers that increase your urge to smoke and develop coping skills to avoid them.
Finding a program that you feel comfortable with is important. The success rate of these programs varies. What is most helpful is a combination of therapy or counseling and medications. 
Irwin Isaacs
Look at the available options and select the one that suits you best.
Robert S. Kaufmann, MD
That is something you discuss with your doctor. There is a couple of treatments out there, number one is the nicotine patch which you slowly reduce the withdrawal, the second is Zyban, and the third is Chantix which tells your brain to not smoke. They all work in certain ways, but that is something you have to decide with your doctors.
Joseph I. Miller Jr., MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Patients should first start with a discussion with physcian and then a decision can be made together as a team regarding the proper medicine for you based on medical conditions, triggers to some and personal choice.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How do I begin the process of ending my cigarette substance abuse?
The first step is to set a quit date and let family and friends know so they can support you and hol...
How can a support group help me recover from nicotine addiction?
While you may feel powerless over the hold nicotine has on you, there are some things you can co...
Treating Depression May Help Smokers Kick the Habit