Can tobacco lozenges and pouches help me quit smoking cigarettes?

Lozenges that contain tobacco (like Ariva and Interval), and small, pouches of tobacco (like Revel and Exalt) are being sold as other ways for smokers to get nicotine in places where smoking is not allowed. The FDA has ruled that these are types of oral tobacco products much like snuff and chew, and are not smoking cessation aids. There is no evidence that these products can help a person quit smoking. Unlike scientifically proven treatments with known effects, such as nicotine replacement products, anti-depressants, nicotine receptor blockers, or behavioral therapy, these oral tobacco products have never been tested to see if they can help people quit tobacco.
We know that oral tobacco products such as snuff and chewing tobacco contain human carcinogens. These products cause mouth cancer and gum disease. They also destroy the bone sockets around teeth and can cause teeth to fall out. There are studies showing potential harmful effects on the heart and circulation, as well as increased risks of other cancers. They also cause bad breath and stain the teeth.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How do I rearrange my living room to avoid slip-ups when quitting smoking?
Triggers are people, places and things that put you in the mood to smoke or that were part of yo...
Can a doctor, dentist, or pharmacist help a person quit smoking?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Doctors, dentists, and pharmacists can be good sources of information about the health risks of smok...
Do You Treat Women Differently than You Treat Men in Cardiaology?