Can I quit smoking without using a support group?

You can quit smoking without a support group, but why would you? Studies show that people are more successful quitting when they combine support or counseling with medication instead of using medication alone.

Support groups offer advice and share stories about the challenges of quitting. Members of your support group can call when you need encouragement and help you avoid triggers that make you want to smoke. You can find support groups at work, from your health insurance company, or in your community.
Irwin Isaacs
Yes, but it can be very helpful to be part of a support system or group when attempting to stop smoking.
Robert S. Kaufmann, MD
Yes you can, it is helpful to have people to help you quit who are going through the same thing, but the truth is to quit smoking is easier than to lose weight because you can totally stop smoking and then go through the couple weeks of the withdrawal, but eating you cannot stop so you never lose the sensation for wanting food, so it is slightly easier. I am not saying it is easy, but it is easier than losing weight. There are multiple ways to quit smoking also.
Yes.  Many people do.  Many people quit cold turkey.  Very tough to do though.  A 2% to 3% success rate.  Many people quit with patches, that is a 5% to 10% success rate.  With patches and pills, that is a 15% to 20% success rate.  With a support group plus patches and pills, and we think you should use all of them, plus exercise, you can get between 30% and 60% chance of success with quitting.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Can a flavored toothpick really help me quit smoking?
A flavored toothpick may help with the psychological aspect of needing something in your mouth. ...
How can I help someone I know quit smoking?
Celeste Robb-NicholsonCeleste Robb-Nicholson
If you're a nonsmoker, become a sensitive but persistent nag. Let the smokers in your circle of frie...
Treating Depression May Help Smokers Kick the Habit