What is the best way to quit using nicotine?

There are several options available to people who want to quit using nicotine, including nicotine replacement therapies such as gum, inhalers, nasal sprays, and patches, as well as medications to help with the withdrawal symptoms such as Chantix and Zyban. There are also smoking cessation programs available, depending on the area you are in, that can provide you with group support sessions and other tools to successfully quit smoking. The best proven ways to quit smoking use a combination of many of the above methods to help the person overcome the cravings; the important thing to remember is the more times you try, the more likely you are to succeed on your next attempt, so don’t give up!
There is no single best way to quit smoking and overcome nicotine addiction. But you are most likely to succeed if you start with a plan. Talk to your doctor or a mental health professional who specializes in smoking cessation. Learn about the steps you can take before you quit and what you should do to cope with withdrawal symptoms, for instance. Your physician may also be able to prescribe medication that can help you kick the habit.
According to the American Psychiatric Association’s Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Substance Use Disorders, combining psychosocial and medication treatment generally produces the best outcomes. 

The best way to quit involves behavior therapy plus nicotine patch, lozenge and gum, plus anti-craving pill, plus a little exercise such as 30 minutes of walking every day.  The more of these things you do in fact the higher your chances of succeeding.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How can I deal with things that trigger my smoking?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
You probably can’t avoid your triggers entirely. But you can take control of them before they take c...
How can I get motivated to quit smoking?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Motivation to quit is complicated. It's not because you don't understand how bad smoking is for you....
How Many Years Can I Add to My Life By Quitting Smoking?