Who is most at risk for hyposmia?

Smokers are at increased risk for hyposmia, as are those who suffer from frequent head colds and sinus infections. If you have nasal polyps, or a more serious condition like multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's, or Alzheimer's, you are at increased risk for hyposmia. If you play sports or are otherwise at risk for head injury, you are also at risk for hyposmia.

Continue Learning about Smell & The Nervous System

What could cause me to lose my sense of smell?
Marilene B. Wang, MDMarilene B. Wang, MD
A variety of things may cause you to lose your sense of smell. An obstruction or infection within th...
What is the current recommendation concerning hyposmia?
Hyposmia is usually the result of an underlying condition. Treating the underlying cause of hypo...
How does smell affect men and women differently?
The way something smells affects men and women differently. Research shows that the smells of pumpki...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have hyposmia?
If you have hyposmia, you may have trouble smelling dangerous odors like smoke or gas. Install smoke...