What smells act as aphrodisiacs?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
Some women love the smell of their husbands' shirts while men love the scent of their wives' perfumes. One study found that the scents of lavender, pumpkin pie, doughnuts, and black licorice increase blood flow to the penis by nearly 40%.

Continue Learning about Smell & The Nervous System

What is the best way to prevent hyposmia?
Hyposmia cannot always be prevented. You can reduce your risk of developing hyposmia by avoiding...
What is the current recommendation concerning hyposmia?
Hyposmia is usually the result of an underlying condition. Treating the underlying cause of hypo...
How does my sense of smell change as I age?
Your sense of smell may lessen as you age for a few reasons. Firstly, sensory cells located in the n...
How does smell affect men and women differently?
The way something smells affects men and women differently. Research shows that the smells of pumpki...