What causes sleepwalking?

Sleepwalking is a mysterious behavior. It sends the heroine of Bellini's opera La Sonnambula into the wrong man's boudoir. Some sleepwalkers drive cars, eat, or simply change where they sleep. There have even been homicides during sleepwalking.

Neurologists aren't sure what combination of genetic predisposition and environmental disturbance launches people out of bed like zombies. However, brain scans tell us that it happens during the non-REM (non-dreaming) stage of sleep and is linked to anxiety, stress, depression and obsessive compulsive disorder.

Sleepwalking can have different causes. Common triggers include stress, anxiety, new surroundings, being premenstrual, fever, fatigue, alcohol consumption, and some medications. The behavior can also have a serious underlying medical cause such as sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, migraine headaches, seizures, stroke, brain inflammation, or head injury.

Continue Learning about Sleepwalking

What is sleepwalking (somnambulism)?
When you sleepwalk, you open your eyes and either sit up in bed or get out of bed and walk around, ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my sleepwalking?
There is no one treatment for sleepwalking, but you may want to consult your doctor if you sleepwalk...
Are there alternative treatments for sleepwalking?
Sleepwalking can be treated with hypnosis, and getting more sleep may prevent the condition. People ...
How is sleepwalking diagnosed?
If you think you sleepwalk, chances are good that someone you live with told you. Unless you are cau...