Is sleepwalking a sleep disorder?

Sleepwalking is a parasomnia, a disruptive sleep disorder that happens when you open your eyes and either sit up in bed or get out of bed and walk around, even though you are not awake. Sleepwalkers can do all sorts of activities in this state, including eating and talking. Sleepwalkers do not, however, dream. The next day, the sleepwalker probably will not remember having gotten up. Sleepwalking itself is not dangerous, but sometimes sleepwalkers do injure themselves or others during an episode.

Continue Learning about Sleepwalking

What do I need to know about caring for someone who sleepwalks?
If someone in your household is sleepwalking, the best thing you can do is gently lead them back to ...
How does sleepwalking affect the body?
Sleepwalking affects the whole body: you walk around at night although you are not fully awake. Slee...
How do I manage my sleepwalking on a daily basis?
If your doctor chooses to treat your sleepwalking with prescription medication, you should follow th...
What increases my risk for sleepwalking?
Being a child or adolescent increases your risk for sleepwalking. So does taking certain medications...