Where should an infant sleep?

The environment you provide for your sleeping baby can have a big impact on how well he sleeps. A very young baby (three to four months) might do better in a swing or a bouncy seat. At that age, my babies tended to sleep better in a bouncy seat, not their cribs; I think the seat provided more cozy support, and having an elevated head helped to clear any possible nasal congestion, as well as being good for reflux or other tummy distress. I moved them from the bouncy into the crib anywhere from three to five months.

Continue Learning about Sleeping & Napping In Babies

How do babies’ sleep patterns change as they age?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
Expectations for your baby’s sleep depend in part on his age. A two-day-old will sleep very diff...
When will my baby start sleeping through the night?
The fact is, some babies naturally sleep through the night -- and some don't. Recent research confir...
Should all babies be placed on their backs to sleep?
All babies should be placed on their backs to sleep. The "Back to Sleep" campaign, now called the "S...
How Can I Put My Baby On a Sleep Schedule?