When should babies nap?

Although moms may relish napping more than their children, it's no secret that naps are important to a happy, healthy baby. During your baby's first few months, naps are pretty unpredictable. Your baby may sleep on and off around the clock. But once your baby is around 4 months old, naps get more regular and last longer. From 4 months to 1 year old, most babies do well with at least two naps -- one in the morning and one in the early afternoon. From 1 to 4 years old, many children need just one afternoon nap that lasts about two or three hours.
Until three months of age, there isn’t much you can do to influence this; babies will sleep where and when they want to. Until this age, they are more influenced by their internal needs and feelings, and less influenced by external stimulation. But after three months, you can try to limit naps and keep her awake more during the day. Keeping her active, interested, and engaged is the best way to wear her out for better sleep at night. Experiment with her nap times and overall amount of daytime sleep. If she naps three times a day, try two longer naps. Don’t let naps run too late into the afternoon. Or awaken her a few minutes early from her naps, to see if she “consolidates” her sleep better at night. But don’t make the opposite mistake and eliminate naps; this creates an overtired baby, and an overtired baby will sleep less at night. 

Continue Learning about Sleeping & Napping In Babies

How can I induce sleep in my baby?
Help induce sleep by giving a warm bath early in the evening, followed by a massage, stories and/or ...
Why shouldn't I put my baby to sleep on her stomach?
First CandleFirst Candle
Many parents place their baby on his or her stomach because they think the baby will be more comfort...
When should my child stop taking naps?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Every child is unique and has his own needs, but we can look at what is typical for children around ...
How Can I Put My Baby On a Sleep Schedule?