Is it safe for my baby to sleep in my bed?

Adult beds are not safe for sleeping babies for the following reasons:
  • Soft bedding, such as pillows, blankets and quilts increase your baby’s risk for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and suffocation.
  • Adults or other children in the bed can accidentally roll too close to or onto your baby while they sleep.
  • Babies can get trapped between the mattress and the wall, headboard, footboard or another piece of furniture.
  • Your baby could fall from the bed and get hurt.
Research shows that bed sharing (falling asleep with your baby) can put your child at increased risk for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Bed sharing is the most unsafe if:
  • You smoked during pregnancy, or if you or your partner smokes now.
  • Your baby is less than 11 weeks old.
  • Your baby was born too early or at a low birth weight.
  • You or your partner has taken drugs, alcohol or medications that make you sleepy.

Continue Learning about Sleeping & Napping In Babies

Will sleeping on her back increase my baby's risk of choking?
First CandleFirst Candle
Many parents place babies on their stomachs to sleep because they think it prevents them from chokin...
What should I do if my baby won't go to sleep on her back?
First CandleFirst Candle
We all have our preferences. However, positional preference appears to be a learned behavior among i...
Why shouldn't I put my baby to sleep on her stomach?
First CandleFirst Candle
Many parents place their baby on his or her stomach because they think the baby will be more comfort...
How Can I Put My Baby On a Sleep Schedule?