Is it safe for my baby to sleep in my bed?

Adult beds are not safe for sleeping babies for the following reasons:
  • Soft bedding, such as pillows, blankets and quilts increase your baby’s risk for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and suffocation.
  • Adults or other children in the bed can accidentally roll too close to or onto your baby while they sleep.
  • Babies can get trapped between the mattress and the wall, headboard, footboard or another piece of furniture.
  • Your baby could fall from the bed and get hurt.
Research shows that bed sharing (falling asleep with your baby) can put your child at increased risk for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Bed sharing is the most unsafe if:
  • You smoked during pregnancy, or if you or your partner smokes now.
  • Your baby is less than 11 weeks old.
  • Your baby was born too early or at a low birth weight.
  • You or your partner has taken drugs, alcohol or medications that make you sleepy.

Continue Learning about Sleeping & Napping In Babies

How can I help my baby learn to go back to sleep alone?
Trish BoothTrish Booth
There are ways to help babies learn to sleep through the night. Talk to your baby’s doctor about...
When should I see a doctor about my baby's sleep problem?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The earlier the better. You want to rule out any physical ailments that could be preventing your chi...
Where should an infant sleep?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
The environment you provide for your sleeping baby can have a big impact on how well he sleeps. ...
How Can I Put My Baby On a Sleep Schedule?