Is it okay for my baby to sleep on her side?

In 1992, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommended both the side and the back sleeping position to reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). In 1996, however, after reviewing data from various new studies, they revised their recommendation to back sleeping as the only safe sleep position for babies. These reports indicated that the risk for SIDS is greater for babies placed on their sides versus those placed on their backs, perhaps because babies placed on their sides have a higher likelihood of rolling onto their tummies. In 2005, the AAP began recommending against side sleep position for babies.

Continue Learning about Sleeping & Napping In Babies

How can I help my newborn get enough sleep?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Newborn babies will sleep 11 to 18 hours day, but any new parent knows there’s no predicting exa...
Where should an infant sleep?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
The environment you provide for your sleeping baby can have a big impact on how well he sleeps. ...
When should my child stop taking naps?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Every child is unique and has his own needs, but we can look at what is typical for children around ...
How Can I Put My Baby On a Sleep Schedule?